THE SAINT LOUIS SCIENCE CENTER RECOGNIZED FOR “GETTING GREENER”, RECEIVES 2013 ST. LOUIS GREEN BUSINESS CHALLENGE CIRCLE OF EXCELLENCE AWARD
|We had to get a shot of the 2013 St. Louis Green Business Challenge's Circle of Excellence award with the solar array displayed proudly in the background. Thanks to the generosity of Microgrid Solar, we are able to produce enough solar energy to power the OMNIMAX Theater!|
The Science Center received a Circle of Excellence award at the 2013 St. Louis Regional Chamber Green Business Challenge award ceremony held on December 10. The St. Louis Regional Chamber honored the Science Center and several other companies, institutions and governmental organizations for their achievements in adopting sustainable business practices that can help grow the St. Louis region's green economy by conserving energy and water, reducing waste, and improving environmental quality.
“This is a great achievement for us,” said Bert Vescolani, president & CEO of the Saint Louis Science Center. “The Science Center is proud to be among a growing company of St. Louis area businesses and establishments that recognize the importance and vital need for becoming smarter and more responsible in how we do things. We’re getting greener and going forward.”
The Green Business Challenge award acknowledges the Science Center’s major innovations and accomplishments to advance its sustainability, including:
- Boeing Hall – new, state-of-the-art exhibition hall that was awarded LEED® Silver Certification in May
- Decommissioned the out-dated, air-supported EXPLORDOME, saving an estimated $200,000 a year in heating and air-conditioning cost
- Installation of a solar electric system that will generate 33,000 kilowatt hours of clean energy per year (enough to power the OMNIMAX® Theater)
- Lighting control conversion and re-lamping program that reduces energy usage by an estimated 5%
- Conversion to new copiers and focusing on digital information resulting in an estimated 43% reduction in paper usage
- Re-established Green Team for institutional sustainability policy and practices
- Parking spaces for fuel-efficient and low-emission vehicles
This is just a sampling of the green initiatives implemented by the Science Center ithis year. In fact, our sustainability score more than doubled in 2013!
Written by Margie, Communications