February 7th, 2014
Unless otherwise noted, all activities are free. Free parking on First Fridays!
Share throughout the night on social media by using #SciFiFriSTL
Dino Overlook (Main Building, First Floor)
6 to 9pm Demos and Activities
- Design what you think the house of the future will look like at our Maker Space.
- Experience a 1950s’ view of the future through materials from the Monsanto House of the Future, courtesy of the Washington University Archives.
- See what local entrepreneurs have planned for the future, brought to you by Arch Grants.
- Learn about the potential for earthquakes in St. Louis with Earthquake Insight, LLC.
- Test games created by local video game developers.
- Glimpse the future through the eyes of Arch Reactor, our local hacker space.
- Contribute ideas for a St. Louis Time Capsule, to be opened in 250 years.
Center Stage (Main Building, Lower Level)
8pm Humans, Cyborgs, and Robots: Who Is a Person and Who Is Not?
Join in this conversation between scientist Keith Miller and science fiction writer Mark W. Tiedemann as they bring a historical context to the question of persons and non-persons and speculate as to how St. Louis will be different in the future, due to a new category of non-humans -- robots.
9pm The Improv Shop improvises scenes from the future! Travel to the future, the past and everything in between!
The Loft (Main Building, Second Floor)
6 to 9pm See the Science Center’s 3D printer at work, play Johann Sebastian Joust and try on a Google Glass!
7pm First Fridays’ Trivia – limited seating
OMNIMAX® Theater (Main Building, Second Floor)
Evening pricing ($6, all tickets; $5 for college students with valid id).
10pm Back to the Future (1985) – Free! Seating is limited, tickets available at the box office.
James S. McDonnell Planetarium
6 to 9pm Experience Flight: Test out our flight simulators – $5 and $6
7 to 9:30pm Public Telescope Viewing (Archery Field)
7pm The Sky Tonight
8:30 & 10pm LASERIUM®:The Beatles, the original laser show! ($10)
Answers to Your First Fridays’ Questions
How does First Fridays’ Trivia work?
To play, register your team or register as an individual, at The Loft. We can accommodate up to 25 teams. There will be five rounds of trivia, with five questions each round. Prizes for the winners of each round!
How do I get tickets for the 10pm movie?
Get your tickets at any ticket booth, starting at 6pm. Tickets are free and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each person is allowed up to four tickets for your group. Once you have a ticket, you must be in the theater by 10 pm to claim your seat. If all tickets have been given out, visitors can wait in the stand-by line. At 10 pm, we will let people waiting in the stand-by line into the theater, to fill all empty seats.