Unpaid Junior Internship and Leadership Program
Want to be part of an amazing team of educators and explore science every day? Check out the Junior Internship and Leadership Program!
The program is a great place for motivated teens to gain valuable pre-employment experience in a fun, educational setting. Successfully completing the internship can be a great item for resumes and college applications.
Interns will have the opportunity to work alongside SLSC staff, helping to facilitate positive visitor experiences through an array of tasks and responsibilities.
Upon successful completion of one summer program, interns will have the opportunity to continue their internship throughout the school year. Interns also have the opportunity to continue as a leader during subsequent summers. As a leader, interns will assist with the training and coaching of new interns. Leaders will also have greater roles within their department as specified by their supervisor.
Please note, space is limited in the Junior Internship and Leadership Program.
Application Dates: February 1 - March 15
Selected candidates will be contacted for group interviews on or before April 15
Internship Dates: June 1 to July 31
Orientation: Saturday, May 20th, 9:30am to 4:30pm
Hours Expected: minimum 8 hours per week; maximum 20 hours per week. Must be available for varied hours, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Summer hours of operation: Mon. – Sat. 9:30-5:30; Sun. 11:00 – 5:30
Age Requirement: Completed 9th, 10th, 11th, OR 12th grade (not entered college)
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Desire to share knowledge with others
- Keen interest in science and/or science education
- Responsible, Punctual, Dependable
- Good physical stamina
- Assisting staff in galleries with exhibit interpretation and maintenance.
- Providing positive customer service, including answering visitors’ questions (i.e. “Where’s the nearest restroom?” or “How does this exhibit work?”)
- Other activities as assigned.
Click here to apply online between Feb. 1 and March 15.