There are no upcoming events at this time.
Play with light in exciting new ways with hands-on experiments that show the science of light. Warm up with the Fermentation Station’s holiday-themed food and drink specials, including make-your-own s’mores kits. Bundle up and snap a selfie against a backdrop of more than 100,000 lights in our one-acre outdoor gallery, GROW, set aglow.
This winter, make Science Illuminated a part of your happy holidays and see science in a new light.
- Experience more than 100,000 leading-edge LED and RGB lights on display in the outdoor GROW Gallery.
- Engage in hands-on activities that showcase the science of light.
- Take a break with food and drink specials in GROW’s Fermentation Station, including chili, hot chocolate, adult beverages and more. Available for purchase.
- Ready to snack s’more? With our make-your-own s’mores kits, toast your own marshmallows with fire pits at the Fermentation Station. Available for purchase.
- Find the perfect holiday gift in our pop-up gift shop, including light necklaces, light glasses and more. Available for purchase.
- Stop for a paid holiday photo with your choice of festive themes, perfect for the front of this year’s holiday card.
- Get into the holiday spirit with our professional face painter. Choose from a full face, half face or a tattoo to inspire holiday fun for everyone. Available for purchase.
Santa vs. the Snowman at the OMNIMAX® Theater ticket offer: Bring your paid Science Illuminated ticket back to redeem for a ticket to Santa vs. the Snowman. Showing at 12:00 pm daily and at 5:00 pm on Science Illuminated nights. Already purchased a ticket to Santa vs. the Snowman? Stop by the box office to apply your purchase toward a ticket to Science Illuminated. Free tickets do not apply.No money back on Member tickets.
Science Demonstrations (Two offered each night):
- Color Mixing: Discover the theory behind color changing LED bulbs. Try mixing and creating your own colors using bulbs and filters. How do filters affect what we see?
- Circuits + Bulbs: Try your hand at building your very own circuit. Can you light up a bulb using only wires and a battery? How does adding or changing parts of a circuit affect how it works? Can you figure out how a 3 color LED works using parallel circuits?
- Pinhole Camera Light Viewer: Make your own light viewer. Learn the science behind light waves and lenses and then create a pinhole lens that projects an image onto a tiny screen.
- Human Circuits: What kinds of things conduct electricity? Does your body conduct electricity? Put your theories to the test using our energy sticks that come to life when current flows through them.
- Floating Orbs: Create a festive orb out of tinsel and watch it levitate using the power of static electricity and charges. What kinds of materials are good for transferring charges?
- Fiber Optic Constellations: Fiber optics seem to capture and bend light. Make your very own mini star chart and light it up using fiber optics and an LED bulb.
Make sure to come back again to experience all the hands-on activities.