Marvel is back for our June Frist Friday, with a focus on The Defenders: Luke Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and the Iron Fist! Come repping your favorite Marvel character and learn more about the real science and technology behind the Marvel Universe. #FridayGeekOut
Unless otherwise noted by the , all activities are FREE! Free parking on First Fridays! All items marked with a require tickets. Tickets for free screenings available at any box office, starting at 6pm.
Not to Be Missed!
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Campus Wide
Building-Wide Game: Hero for Hire Training
Complete challenges throughout the Science Center to earn your Hero for Hire badge.
7:00 PM, Energy Stage
Special Panel Presentation – Marvel’s Defenders and Diversity: The Fans Speak
Ongoing Activities, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Visit Chikara Dojo in May Hall and begin your training with Apex Martial Arts Academy.
- At the Archon table, sign up to show off your super hero gear for the Marvel Mini Masquerade!
- Visit comic book row and check out local comic book creators, collectors, and sellers.
- See our special exhibition POMPEII: THE EXHIBITION. Last entry at 8pm. Special First Friday pricing: $18.95 for Adults; $15.95 for Seniors, $13.95 for Children (6-12), and $12.95 for Members.
- Snap a pic at our Defenders photo op.
- Learn about animals with superpower skin in the Life Science Lab.
- Stop by Harlem’s Paradise for food and drink specials, including traditional New York street food.
- In addition to your favorite movie snacks, don’t miss tonight’s food and drink specials in The Loft!
- Invent your own superhero, and create a comic strip panel to share their story.
- Public Telescope Viewing – weather permitting (Archery Field) –night sky viewing beginning at 8pm, with the St. Louis Astronomical Society.
Planetarium Show: Live Sky Tonight
Free! (45 minutes)
7pm, The Loft/2
First Friday Trivia
Limited seating; sign up in The Loft.
7:00pm, Energy Stage/LL
Panel Presentation – Marvel’s Defenders and Diversity: The Fans Speak
Moderated by artist and academic, Stacey Robinson, this panel discussion will explore the Netflix series Marvel’s The Defenders in all of its complexity. Come join the conversation as we look at race, gender, and class through the lens of the Defenders and explore series highlights and missed opportunities.
- Moderator: Stacey Robinson, Assistant Professor in Graphic Design, University of Illinois and Nasir Jones Hiphop
- Fellowship, Harvard University
- Amber Johnson, SLU, Department of Communication
- Reynoldo Anderson, Harris Stowe, Humanities Department
- Damian Duffy, Adjunct Lecturer, University of Illinois; cartoonist and writer
Iron Fist episode
“Snow Gives Way” (2017, TV-MA, regular screen format, 55 minutes)
8pm, T. Rex Classroom/LL
Geek Universe Radio Show
“Into the Ring” (2015, TV-MA, regular screen format, 53 minutes
The Defenders episodes
“Worst Behavior” (2017, TV-MA, regular screen format, 55 minutes)
“The Defenders” (2017, TV-MA, regular screen format, 57 minutes)
9:00 PM, Energy Stage/LL
Archon Presents: Marvel Mini Masquerade
A costume masquerade featuring costumes created by you! Sign up by 8:30pm at the Archon table on the first floor of the Main Building.
9:15 PM, Energy Stage/LL
Martial Arts Demo from Apex Martial Arts Academy
While the judges deliberate for the costume contest, see a live demonstration of fighting styles used by the Defenders.
10:00 PM, OMNIMAX/2
Jessica Jones episode
“AKA Ladies Night” (2015, TV-MA, regular screen format, 52 minutes)
Luke Cage episode
“Moment of Truth” (2016, TV-MA, regular screen format, 55 minutes)
Answers to Your First Friday Questions
How does First Friday Trivia work?
- To play, register as an individual or with a team in The Loft on the Second Floor of the Main Building. Registration begins at 6pm and we can accommodate up to 15 teams with a maximum of 6 people per team. There will be five rounds of trivia, with five questions each round. Prizes for the winners of each round!
How do I get free tickets? (for shows, presentations, activities, etc.)
- Get your tickets at any box office, starting at 6pm. Science Center Members may use the Member-Only Ticket Line, at the Membership Desk. Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each person is allowed up to four tickets for your group. Once you have a ticket, you must be in the theater by show time to claim your seat. If you decide not to use your ticket, please return it to the Membership Desk in the Main Building Lobby. Tickets turned in for sold-out shows will be redistributed at the Membership Desk until 30 minutes prior to show time. After this, visitors without tickets may wait in a standby line outside of the show’s venue. We will let in those standing by to fill all seats not claimed by show time.
Thank you to The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis Rentals Department for the movie props you see throughout the Science Center.
Plan to attend these upcoming First Fridays!
Price: First Fridays are free but some activities are ticketed.
Parking: Free at the Oakland and McDonnell Planetarium Lots
Location: Entire Science Center Campus
Ages: All ages are welcome. First Friday activities such as presentations, pop culture trivia, and the 10 pm OMNIMAX film are primarily designed for visitors 16 years and older.