- This event has passed.
Explore the science of steampunk through activities including tea pot racing, hoop rolling, and dueling! Create a pair of steampunk goggles in our Makerspace and have a spot of tea at the tea party! See Steampunk in action in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, free in the OMNIMAX Theater at 10 pm! #FridayGeekOut
Unless otherwise noted by the , all activities are FREE! Free parking on First Fridays! All items marked with a require tickets. Tickets for free screenings available at any box office, starting at 6pm.
Not to Be Missed!
6-9pm, Campus Wide – Passport Scavenger hunt
The Saint Louis Science Center’s Academy for Exceptional Innovators needs you help! The Academy’s Key Master who kept our most prized inventions safe has been kidnapped! It is imperative that we keep these inventions from getting into the wrong hands. Use your passport and follow the clues to find the key and save the day! Go to First Friday information table to begin the hunt!
9:15 pm, Boeing South – Archon Masquerade Costume Contest
Register at Archon table located on the 1st floor. And while the judges are deliberating, you’ll have the opportunity to learn a quick history of tea and tea dueling from Steampunk Saint Louis!
Ongoing Activities, 6-9pm
- See creations from local crafters and artists!
Center Stage and May Hall
- Check out the latest technology in robotics with the St. Louis Student Robotics Association. Students show off their unique creations and you’ll have an opportunity to create and test your own robots!
- Test your dueling skills with Steampunk St. Louis in T-Rex Room! See if you can hit all four marks before your adversary! Members of Steampunk St. Louis will also be showing off their own steampunk nerf gun creations.
- Don’t miss our latest exhibition Guitar: The Instrument that Rocked the World. Discounted tickets for tonight only! $8.00 General admission $5 for members
- Try out games from Game Nite, located in Boeing South
- Color a collector’s coloring page from Victoria Szulc’s new book Dr. Barker’s Book of Beautiful Botany in GROW Meeting Room. While you’re there, check out steampunk books, vintage/antique items, and fabulous accessories.
- Make sure you stop by the photo op and vogue out in Steampunk style!
- Connect with a universe of games including steampunk-inspired games located in GameXPloration.
- Visit the Life Science Lab where you can learn what leather tooling is all about and make leather bracelets with Steampunk St. Louis, while supplies last!
- Stop by Steampunk St. Louis information table where you can learn more about Steampunk Saint Louis and see a demonstration on the art of upcycling costumes (Boeing South)
- Get your likeness drawn by the St. Louis Caricature Artists
- More creations for local crafters and artists!
- Visit the Loft for food and drink specials.
- Create a pair of your very own steampunk goggles in Makerspace while supplies last!
- Test out the Blue Motion Simulators ($5 for Non-Members and Members) the I-360 Interactive Flight Simulators ($7/$6 for Members) and our new Virtual Reality Transporter ($10/$9 for Members).
- Public Telescope Viewing – weather permitting (Archery Field) –night sky viewing beginning at 7pm, with the St. Louis Astronomical Society.
- Discover more about space exploration with St. Louis Space Frontier and The Moon Society.
- Engage in citizen science research with CosmoQuest.
The Greatest Places
All tickets $6, $5 for college students with valid id
Planetarium Show: Live Sky Tonight
Free! (45 minutes)
7pm, The Loft/2
First Friday Trivia
The Wild Wild West episodes
“Season 1, Episode 21: The Night of the Puppeteer” (1966, PG, regular screen format)
“Season 1, Episode 26: The Night of the Burning Diamond” (1966, PG, regular screen format)
9:15pm, Boeing South
Archon Masquerade Costume Contest
Register at Archon table located on 1st floor over dino overlook. And while the judges are deliberating, you’ll have the opportunity to learn a quick history of tea and watch a tea duel with Steampunk Saint Louis!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
(2004, PG, regular screen format, 107 minutes)
Answers to Your First Friday Questions
How does First Friday Trivia work?
- To play, register as an individual or with a team in The Loft on the Second Floor of the Main Building. Registration begins at 6pm and we can accommodate up to 15 teams with a maximum of 6 people per team. There will be five rounds of trivia, with five questions each round. Prizes for the winners of each round!
How do I get free tickets? (for shows, presentations, activities, etc.)
- Get your tickets at any box office, starting at 6pm. Science Center Members may use the Member-Only Ticket Line, at the Membership Desk. Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each person is allowed up to four tickets for your group. Once you have a ticket, you must be in the theater by show time to claim your seat. If you decide not to use your ticket, please return it to the Membership Desk in the Main Building Lobby. Tickets turned in for sold-out shows will be redistributed at the Membership Desk until 30 minutes prior to show time. After this, visitors without tickets may wait in a standby line outside of the show’s venue. We will let in those standing by to fill all seats not claimed by show time.
What are the costume guidelines?
- We encourage guests to wear costumes! Thanks to our partner Johnnie Brock’s Dungeon for providing costumes for Science Center staff.
- We ask that your costume not interfere with your safety or the safety of others. You may use face paint and partial face-masks. We ask that you carry any full-face masks or helmets while entering and when you are walking through the Science Center. You may wear your headgear while being photographed. Weapons as part of costumes are subject to the approval of Saint Louis Science Center Security. No firearms or illegal weapons are allowed and if the weapon has a blade, you must have a covering for it.
Plan to attend these upcoming First Fridays!
- April 5 – Harry Potters
- May 3 – Movie Magic
- June 7 – Marvel’s Defender
Thank you to our sponsor: