- This event has passed.
February 23: Engineering Expo
Celebrate Engineers Week 2019 with a weekend expo showcasing the creative problem-solving process that engineering is all about. Meet real engineers who build, invent, and impact the world around us. Find inspiration for applying your own creative abilities.
A free all-day event showcasing the creative problem-solving process that engineering is all about. Meet real engineers who build, invent, and impact the world around us. Find inspiration for applying your own creative abilities.
Presented in partnership with Missouri Society of Professional Engineers (MSPE)
Check out these and other free STEM activities on Saturday, February 23, 2019!
- See rockets, robots, race cars, and airplanes up close!
- Create a LEGO model for living in space!
- Fire a catapult!
- Build electric circuits!
- Design and test a life jacket!
- Try out a flight simulator and virtual reality goggles!
- Do earthquake testing and build and test structures against extreme events!
- Discover what it takes to build a winning Solar Powered Race Car!
- See if you can stop a killer ball!
- Sit in and find out more about Baja cars!
- Investigate new 3-D scanning and printing applications!
- Explore how engineers control and direct river flow!
- Navigate an Optibot!
- Play a magnetic fishing game
- Try hands-on acitivites relate to Additive Manufacturing!
- Test the aerodynamics and trajectories of paper airplanes!
- See what Ground Penetrating Radar reveals about what’s underneath us!
- Use real solar cells in a solar energy demonstration!
Special Presentations at CenterStage:
- 11:15pm CRISPR Play
Youth Exploring Science (YES) Agriscience Component
Discover and explore what CRISPR technology and genetics is all about!
- 1:15pm Solar Race Car Design
SIUE Solar Racing Team
Come find out what it takes to design and build a winning solar race car!
- 2:15pm Creating in Layers with Additive Manufacturing
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) St. Louis Gateway Chapter
See what can be created through the process of Additive Manufacturing
Share your SciFest experiences with #SciFestSTL
Engineering Expo Partners and Activities
- FIRST FLOOR
- Try a killer ball challenge with Missouri Society of Professional Engineers (MSPE)
- BOEING HALL SOUTH
- Get a close-up look at what students at Missouri University of Science and Technology< are doing with rockets, race cars, robots, airplanes, tricycles, and concrete canoes
- Visit with Boeing< scientists and engineers, and try out a flight simulator, virtual reality goggles, and 3-D printing
- See how river flow can be directed, and design and test a life jacket with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Check out a variety of robots with Maryville Science and Robotics
- Design and create LEGO models for living in space with St. Louis Space Frontier
- Found out how Additive Manufacturing can be used to create specialized tools, models, and engine parts with Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) – St. Louis Gateway Chapter
- Try out a house-of-cards earthquake testing demonstration with Engineering Center of St. Louis
- Put real solar cells to use while participating in multiple solar energy demonstrations with StraightUp Solar
- LIFE SCIENCE LAB
- Build circuits and find out more about civil engineering applications with National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- See samples of 3-D printed hearts with St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- Sit in the Baja cars designed and built by SIUE Cougar Baja
- Find out what it takes to design and build a solar racing car with SIUE Solar Racing Team
- Navigate an Optibot, and see how sensors and driverless vehicles work with National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Launch a catapult, and check out LEGO Robotics with SAME (Scott AFB Post & St. Louis Post)
- Use Ground Penetrating Radar with Geotechnology, Inc.
- Flight test the aerodynamics and trajectories of paper airplanes with American Society of Civil Engineers – St. Louis Section Younger Member Group
- Discover how to build and test structures against extreme events with ASCE SIUE Student Chapter
Preschool Science Series at SciFest!
SciFest-themed classes designed for young children, ages 3-5.
Tickets required. $8 per member child (ages 3+); $10 non-members.
One adult per 4 children required. Reservations available and recommended as space is limited.
SciFest: Connect with Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) professionals gathered exclusively for a series of day-long science and technology themed events. Meet local scientists, engineers and other experts for a personal, close-up look at cutting-edge, creative STEM applications. Learn more about our other SciFest events.
Mark your calendar for our upcoming SciFest events
SLSC Membership Special: Purchase a Family and Friends Membership or above, and save $10 during today’s SciFest event!
Parking: Regular price at the Oakland Lot and free at the McDonnell Planetarium Lot
Location: Entire Science Center Campus