- This event has passed.
Connect to community STEM experts and organizations in all STEM fields.
Saturday, January 18: Health Expo
Welcome to STEM Community Expo!
Enjoy our all-day free event highlighting diversity in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math careers and opportunities right here in the St. Louis area. Participate in hands-on activities and presentations led by STEM role models representing a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, including teens from the Youth Exploring Science (YES) program.
Check out these free experiences and more today!
- Scientist in Training program
- VR experiences
- Computer and electronics programming and building
- Storm kids and green screen photos
- Wildlife and nature activities
- Flight simulators
- Stethoscope, x-ray, and lung function demos
- Audio and video production and movie soundtrack production
- STEM and entrepeneurship models
- Engineering and robotic challenges
SciFest: Health Expo sponsored by:
Special Presentations at Energy Stage
11:15 AM Apollo 17—The Last Moon Landing
Christopher Heffner, NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador
Come learn something new about the final moon landing mission, and find out what we are still learning from it today.
12:15 AM H-2 Whoa!
Laura Leibman, Regional Program Manager, National Inventors Hall of Fame
Learn how to clean polluted water using Vitamin C, and protect animals living in wetland areas.
1:15 PM The New Horizons Mission: Exploring Pluto at 36,000 Miles Per Hour
John Mackin, PLTW Aerospace Engineering Master Teacher, NASA Solar System Ambassador
Discover details about the New Horizons Mission exploring the outside edge of our solar system.
Share your SciFest experiences with #SciFestSTL
STEM Community Expo and Activities
- Explore maritime navigation and safety with National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- Try out flight simulators, VR goggles, circuit building and visual programming with Boeing/NSBE
- Do a wildlife habitat activity with Missouri Master Naturalists—Great Rivers Chapter
- Make and launch a popsicle-stick boomerang with Gifted Support Network
- Take apart laptops and other electronic equipment, and learn how to recycle them with Missouri Kids Unplugged
- Do a nature stamping activity with Wildlife Rescue Center
- Discover something new about ticks, mosquitoes, and disease prevention with Saint Louis County Department of Public Health Vector-Borne Disease Control Program
- Learn how to use a stethoscope with Saint Louis University Health Resource Center
- Test and learn about how your lungs function with St. Louis College of Health Careers
- LIFE SCIENCES HALL in Life Science Lab Classroom
- Explore the brain and the circulatory and digestive systems with Youth Exploring Science (YES) Teens Integrative Health and Well-being Component
- Design an emergency plan and kit, then spin a prize wheel with City of Saint Louis Department of Health
- Play a food/plant-part game and get a closer look at healthy/unhealthy snacks with Youth Exploring Science (YES) Teens Agriscience Component in partnership with Greenleaf Market
- TECHNOLOGY HALL in Boeing South
- Build computers and see how they work, participate in an E-sports tournament and VR experiences, play cybersecurity Jeopardy and see how to improve your cybersecurity score with Youth Exploring Science (YES) Teens Cybersecurity Component in partnership with De Le Salle and NPower
- Solve gear and other engineering puzzles, and compete in robot games with Youth Exploring Science (YES) Teens Engineering Component
- Experience the magic of the green screen, create a movie soundtrack and participate in streaming audio and video demonstrations with Youth Exploring Science (YES) Teens Media Component in partnership with Charles Murphy
- Try your skills at reporting from the storm kids photo op with KMOV News 4
- Do a Weeds in the Wetlands challenge with National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Do a Rainforest bird beak challenge and see how robots can be used in the wild to help Rainforest animals with Friends of the Rainforest
- Design and test paper airplanes with Wings of Hope
- Examine x-rays and learn how to read them with SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital – Trauma Services
- Find out more about biological agents, emergency preparedness, and survival strategies and more with Saint Louis County Department of Public Health
CREATIVITY HALL in T-rex Room
- Examine a variety of STEM-related creations designed by Youth Exploring Science (YES) Teens Entrepeneurship Component
- Do a STEM building activity designed to develop your entrepeneurial mindset with Network for Teaching Entrepeneurship
- Create slime with YMCA
- Meet Kidpreneur Mr. Fresh and learn about the chemistry behind air-fresheners
- Find out how to start your own business as a young entrepeneur/Kidpreneur with Mia’s Treat Delight
AEROSPACE HALL at Planetarium
- Take part in hands-on demonstrations on flight, aerodynamics, and space sciences with Youth Exploring Science (YES) Teens Aerospace Component
- Explore light maps of Missouri and find the best areas to see stars with IDA Missouri
GROW Classroom (10am-12pm)
Preschool Science Drop In: Come get a preview of our Preschool Science Series!
Topic: What is an Engineer?
Engage in an engineering challenge designed for children ages 3-6 years old.
Explore a variety of materials and use them to create something new.
No registration needed. Visitors may drop in as space allows. Maximum occupancy: 20
Mark your calendar for upcoming SciFest events in 2020!
February 22, 2020 Engineering Expo
April 18, 2020 The Great Outdoors Expo
SLSC Membership Special: Purchase a Family and Friends Membership or above, and save $10 during SciFest! Learn more about becoming a member.
SciFest: Connect with Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) professionals gathered exclusively for a series of day-long science and technology themed events. Meet local scientists, engineers and other experts for a personal, close-up look at cutting-edge, creative STEM applications. Learn more about our other SciFest events.
Parking: Regular price at the Oakland Lot and free at the McDonnell Planetarium Lot
Location: Entire Science Center Campus