The Saint Louis Science Center is gearing up for an exciting 2019 which will feature two special exhibitions, three OMNIMAX® Theater films and special events.
Learn more about these special exhibitions, films and events below.
• GUITAR: The Instrument that Rocked the World opens on Jan. 19 and runs until April 14. This traveling exhibition from the National GUITAR Museum is an immersive exhibition that explores the evolution, history and cultural impact of the instrument over the past 5,000 years.
• Pompeii: The Exhibition opens on May 17 and runs until Oct. 27. This exhibition features more than 200 artifacts on loan from the Naples National Archaeological Museum, as well as casts of items buried more than 2,000 years ago but preserved by the very disaster that destroyed them.
OMNIMAX Theater films
• Cuba: Journey to the Heart of the Caribbean opened on Dec. 21, 2018. The film uses stunning aerial photography of the island combined with artistic storytelling to immerse audiences in the rhythms and exuberance of the nation. Playing in English with select film showings in Spanish (no subtitles).
• Superpower Dogs opens March 15. This film demonstrates the life-saving superpowers and extraordinary bravery of some of the world’s most remarkable dogs. You will never look at your best friend the same way again.
• Volcanoes: The Fires of Creation opens on May 17. The film complements Pompeii: The Exhibition with the story of earth’s creation and the contribution of volcanoes to the great wildlife ecosystems and their impact on humans and the world.
Special events are also planned throughout the year including:
Jan. 19-21: SciFest: Community Science Showcase
Feb. 1: First Friday: Ready Player One
Feb. 9: Science On Tap
Feb. 23-24: SciFest: Engineering Expo
March 1: First Friday: Steampunk and The World of Tomorrow
April 5: First Friday: Harry Potter
April 20: SciFest: Animal Kingdom Expo
May 3: First Friday: Movie Magic
May 18: SciFest: Extreme Earth Expo
June 6-Aug. 8: Science at Sunset
July 20: SciFest: Moon Landing Party
July 27: Rice Day in GROW
Aug. 10: SciFest: Bright Ideas Expo