- This event has passed.
October 12: The Great Outdoors Expo
Welcome to The Great Outdoors Expo Discover a deeper appreciation for the great outdoors at our free event! Visit with STEM experts and organizations focused on living and working outside. Find new outdoor hobbies and activities you can engage in and enjoy. Check out special agriculture-related activities and experiences in our outdoor GROW gallery!
Check out a variety of free activities and opportunities like these:
- Inflatable mini golf!
- Tractor rides!
- Rock wall climbing!
- Visit with goats, sheep, chickens, and other livestock animals!
- Search and rescue dog teams!
- Finding fossils in your own backyard!
- Sun and outdoor safety!
- Electric vehicles!
- Meteorites, telescopes, and backyard astronomy!
- Meet engineers and field geologists!
- Rainfall simulator!
SciFest: The Great Outdoors Expo sponsored by:
MO Beef Council
Gateway MO/IL Farm Bureau
Heartland Coca Cola
Renewal by Anderson
Special Presentations at Energy Stage
11:15 PM Fossils in Everyday Life
Asa Kaplan, Paleontologist
Discover where to find fossils in your city, street, and even your house!
12:15 PM Apollo Mission Landing Sites
Christopher Heffner, NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassadors
See how to find the Apollo landing areas on the Moon using a telescope!
1:15 PM Farming for the Future
Jimmy Ryals, Red Hat
Learn more about innovation in agriculture!
2:15 PM Wild Bird Sing Along
Joe Hoffmann, Wild Bird Rehabilitation, Inc.
Join us in a sing-along about birds and the environment around us!
3:15 PM All About Owls!
Brenda Hente, Missouri Master Naturalist
Find out more about what makes owls so unique, including why they are such good predators at night!
Share your SciFest experiences with #SciFestSTL
The Great Outdoors Expo Partners and Activities
- Get a close-up look at electric vehicles, sit in an electric go-kart, and learn more about how electric generators and motors work with Gateway Electric Vehicle
- Do a bird beak activity with Friends of the Rainforest
- Learn more about clean water activities and make a t-shirt key chain with Greenway Network, Inc.
- Discover how to find and identify Missouri fossils, and take home a fossil of your own with paleontologist Asa Kaplan
- Spin the Sun Safety wheel to see how animals and people can stay safe from Sun exposure with St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- Explore a variety of hands-on items and artifacts about animals and the environment with Wild Bird Rehabilitation Inc.
- Learn how to protect yourself from ticks and mosquitoes while outdoors with Saint Louis County Department of Public Health – Vector Control
- Do leaf identification and chromatography activities with Washington University in St. Louis Women in STEM
- Get to know the outdoors better with Missouri Master Naturalists – Great Rivers Chapter
- Meet the Eureka Fire Search & Rescue Team, and watch their rescue-dog teams in action (Search and Rescue demonstrations outside in GROW)
- LIFE SCIENCE LAB
- See how cave surveys are done, and discover how light is used to study plants, water, and minerals outdoors with National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- GROW (outdoor gallery)
- Take a tractor ride with CASE IH(11am-3pm only)
- Pet, brush, and feed goats with Naeger Goat Farm
- See a rainfall simulator in action, and learn more about soil health with Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Play a vegetable sorting game, and take a tour of our greenhouse with Youth Exploring Science (YES) Agriscience Component
- Pet and visit with a calf and find out more about what it takes to raise cattle with Cloe Haas
- Get an close up look at bees in a hive and learn more about honey bees with J&R Pashia Apiaries
- Have a hands-on interactive experience with chickens and a variety of aquatic animals with Lincoln University
- Discover how soil can break down and “eat” cotton, and learn more about the Saint Louis Science Center Soil Your Underwear Challenge
- See an apple press in action and sample fresh apples and apple cider with Missouri Department of Agriculture
- Try a seed matching game and get a closer look at a variety of crops and plant-based products with Gateway Committee—Missouri/Illinois Farm Bureau
- Check out how not all eggs are alike with Rose Acres Farm
- Pet and visit with a variety of livestock animals with Elsberry FFA
- Meet engineers from American Society of Civil Engineers St. Louis Section and find out how they study and stabilize the ground in order to build sturdy structures
- Take a photo of yourself in The Great Outdoors with Renewal by Anderson
- OUTSIDE ENTRANCE
- Try a round of miniature golf on the field next to the F/A-18B Hornet Blue Angels jet
- Climb a rock wall sponsored by Renewal by Anderson
- Find out more about solar and library telescopes with St. Louis Astronomical Society
- See what a 100 lb. meteorite looks like, and learn more about rock hunting and Missouri minerals with St. Louis Mineral and Gem Society
- Check out telescopes, backyard astronomy, and lunar, planetary, and deep sky astrophotography with NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassadors
- Discover how to find dark skies and how nature works at night with International Dark Sky Association – Missouri
- Learn something new about meteor showers, moon phases, and spotting the Space Station with St. Louis Space Frontier
Preschool Science Series at SciFest!
- SciFest-themed classes designed for young children, ages 3-5.
- Tickets required. $8 per member child (ages 3+); $10 non-members.
- One adult per 4 children required. Reservations available and recommended as space is limited.
- Saturday, October 12, 2019 10:00 – 10:45 AM Camouflage
Mark your calendar for upcoming SciFest events in 2019!
Novmeber 16, 2019 – Health Expo featuring the Amazing Brain Carnival
SLSC Membership Special: Purchase a Family and Friends Membership or above, and save $10 during SciFest! Learn more about becoming a member.
SciFest: Connect with Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) professionals gathered exclusively for a series of day-long science and technology themed events. Meet local scientists, engineers and other experts for a personal, close-up look at cutting-edge, creative STEM applications. Learn more about our other SciFest events.
Parking: Regular price at the Oakland Lot and free at the McDonnell Planetarium Lot
Location: Entire Science Center Campus