What is a makerspace?
Makerspaces are interactive, community-oriented spaces where you can create and learn skills using a variety of different tools and materials.
In the Science Center’s Makerspace you can explore science, technology, engineering and your creativity! Our Makerspace will inspire you to be a maker -- Play, Imagine, Build, Adapt, Modify, Work Together, and HAVE FUN!
Our exhibits include:
- Air Ball – Play to experiment how wind effects different objects, then use the materials to create a game to teach to someone else!
- Float and Fly – Create an object using simple materials and then test it to see if it flies. Then Adapt your design to make it float!
- Sail Race – Design a sail using Tinkertoys and fabric and then send it down the racetrack. Can you Modify your sail to beat the best time of the day?
- Ball Run – Assemble the magnetic pipes to get a ball from start to finish on one side of the ball run. Work Together with others to try and get the ball around all four sides of the cube!
- Rigamajig – Imagine and Build something larger than yourself using our Rigamajig building materials!
Want to learn a new skill or build something cool? Sign up for a workshop in our Maker Classroom! See the schedule below.
Visit our Maker Garage and Interact with local St. Louis makers!
To view our program guide click here.
March: Dino Racers
Create a self-propelled Dino Racer! Using a few simple house hold items, your imagination, and your favorite dinosaur as inspiration; create a cool vehicle and test it against out prehistoric jump ramp! Who’s will go the farthest?
$8 Members (ages 4-14). $10 non-members
April: Automata Engineering
Learn about simple machines through engineering. Create this self-operating machine with endless possibilities from a creative combination of cardboard, foam, skewers and straws –all constructed in an unpredictable fashion.
$8 Members (ages 4-14). $10 non-members.
Who doesn’t love puppets? Another maker tradition with roots back in ancient Greece. Come in an create a puppet with a modern twist to this age-old practice.
8 Members (ages 4-14). $10 non-members
Classes are approximately 45 minutes. The age and number of participants varies depending upon the activity.
• January 2nd – March 12th: Only 1:30 PM classes
• March 13th – March 24th: 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM classes
• March 25th – May 29th: Only 1:30 PM classes
• May 30th – August 5th : 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM classes AND 5:30 PM Classes on every Thursday in June, July, and on August 3rd
• August 6th - December 18th : Only 1:30 PM classes
• December 19th – December 31st : 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM classes
January Class - $10
Have you ever wondered how to build your own Salvage-Bot? Discover how you can tinker using found objects and create your own loveable recycled robot. Learn how to build these amazing contraptions using repurposed objects and materials and create your very own lovable recycled robot. Join us at maker-space as we make today’s junk tomorrows treasure!