What is a makerspace?
Makerspaces are interactive, community-oriented spaces where you can create and learn skills using a variety of different tools and materials.
In the Science Center’s Makerspace you can explore science, technology, engineering and your creativity! Our Makerspace will inspire you to be a maker -- Play, Imagine, Build, Adapt, Modify, Work Together, and HAVE FUN!
Our exhibits include:
- Air Ball – Play to experiment how wind effects different objects, then use the materials to create a game to teach to someone else!
- Float and Fly – Create an object using simple materials and then test it to see if it flies. Then Adapt your design to make it float!
- Sail Race – Design a sail using Tinkertoys and fabric and then send it down the racetrack. Can you Modify your sail to beat the best time of the day?
- Ball Run – Assemble the magnetic pipes to get a ball from start to finish on one side of the ball run. Work Together with others to try and get the ball around all four sides of the cube!
- Rigamajig – Imagine and Build something larger than yourself using our Rigamajig building materials!
Want to learn a new skill or build something cool? Sign up for a workshop in our Maker Classroom! See the schedule below.
Visit our Maker Garage and Interact with local St. Louis makers!
To view our program guide click here.
Classes are approximately 45 minutes. The age and number of participants varies depending upon the activity. November and December classes are Monday through Saturday: 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM. And Sundays: 1:30 PM
November Class - $10
Unlock the secrets of the long-distance telegraph and learn how to code before coding. Invent your own telegraph as we journey back in time. We will learn how to make a telegraph key and learn about the electromagnetic rely, a switch that opens and closes a circuit. Learn and practice Morse code and discover the mystery of the first message back in 1844. You can build a telegraph system to communicate or simply get a better appreciation of this world changing invention.
December Class - $10
Laser Engraved Holiday Decorations
Join us this December in the Makerspace Classroom to create your own Holiday decorations with our Laser Engraver. Using paint and other art materials on laser engraved wood customize your own keepsake. Before the class stars we will take you behind the scenes in Maker and show you the different people, tools, and tech that went into creating the engraving. You will even see the laser engraver in action.
January Class - $10
Have you ever wondered how to build your own Salvage-Bot? Discover how you can tinker using found objects and create your own loveable recycled robot. Learn how to build these amazing contraptions using repurposed objects and materials and create your very own lovable recycled robot. Join us at maker-space as we make today’s junk tomorrows treasure!